Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Single Mother Shuffle

I sincerly try to make an effort to not allow myself to get caught up in the challenges of being a single mom. I don't allow myself to get caught up in the woes of why me or if their dad only stepped up to the plate. Overall, I am beyond grateful for all the ways that God allows my world to come together to make up for the fact that my children only have one active parent. I have even(at times) taken pride in how I seem to keep all the balls( well the most important ones) up in the air during my oh so truly skillful juggling act.

But, here lately. I seem to struggle with well all of it. Either there are more balls to keep up or they are getting heavier. The afterschool activities, orthodontist appointments, trips to the emergency room( we will talk about that later),homework and just plain living is getting a bit..
heavy. For the first time I really think since I have been a single mom I am wishing I had another parent. Let's be truthful I wish for another me.

I was talking to my mom yesterday and told her I wanted a wife. She corrected me quickly mind you and said I needed a nanny. Nope I said it right. I need a WIFE. A nanny you have to pay. A wife has to do all this ish for FREE.

The thing about being a single mother for me at least is this. Even if they can't equally carry the load that you do that is fine. But, it would be nice to occasionally have them fill in. You know a pinch hitter. Now that the divas are teens and pre-teens their social calendar is so busy. They always want to go somewhere and when there isn't somewhere they want to got. There is defintely someplace they need to go. Hair appointments, trips to the store, friends house, school games all of that. I actually fantasize about doing NADA.

I could always complain that life isnt' allowing me time for me but , that isn't even my issue. The more I think about it I am sure there are plenty of non single mom with the same grip. I have. I think it was getting up at 5 today and making a 7:3.0 ortho appt working 9 hrs.. shopping for school dance outfits after work..to find out one outfit is too big. So as soon as I sign off I will be sewing in the waist because the store only had two and the I know the other one was to small for
her..

Sorry, this wasn't the best post. I just needed to vent.

No comments: