Friday, February 22, 2008

The Aftermath

Trina hated that time in their lives. All of it was bad at that time all the lies, the heartache the overall deception. She still struggled daily with the memories of it. The smallest things triggered it. It could be a song she would hear on the radio, a sad song that she used to console herself during that period. Sometimes she would find herself writing out a date on a form at work and her mind would flash back to where they were two years ago on that date. Other times it would be a conversation that started out innocent and somehow it takes a bad turn and they end up almost discussing that time back then. It was an instant mood changer for her it was like a car hitting a brick wall. Leaving just the pieces of the conversation and her heart e scattered on the floor as she abruptly walked away.

Tonight it was a simple trip to the movies.

“Babe” he said as he entered the room.
:
“The movie you want to see is only playing at the Regal show times are 8:00, 8:45..”

In her mind his voice trailed off. She didn’t hear anything past the words The Regal.
There she was stuck on memories of rumors of him being seen there with her. Then the questions began. What theatre did they sit in? How many times had they gone there with out her knowing? What did they order from concessions? Did they hold hands in the movie? Does she talk during the movies? There she was lost once again stuck in the middle of all that pain.

“Babe” did you hear me?

“Huh” she replied.

“The movie. At The Regal? The show times? Did you hear anything I said?” She could hear the irritation in his voice.

She looked over at him and instantly his face changed and he dropped the paper on the floor.

“T, we can’t do this forever. How long will I be on probation? “

Good question she thought. But, she responded with “But, I didn’t say anything.”
She smile a weak half ass smile at him.

“No, but your face says it all. We have to get to the point when that doesn’t overshadow everything that goes on in this house. How long are you going to slap me in the face because I .” he stopped there.

“Because, you cheated? You want me to get past it. But, you can’t even say it.”

“I can say it. I am tired of saying it. I am trying my best. Trina if I didn’t want to be here.”

“Yes, I know” she interrupted. “You wouldn’t be here.”

“Look, I am fine. Pick whatever time and I will be ready to go. I am fine, we are fine and it’s all fine to me” Trina stood up and walked over to Alonzo, kissed him gently on the lips. Leaned back and smiled. “I said we are good. I was thinking about something completely different. You miss read my expression. I am going up stairs to get ready. Holla, when it’s time to leave”

“Humph” he sighed.

Trina’s eyes welled up with tears the second her foot hit the bottom stair. She quickly wiped her eyes just in case he was watching her walk up the stairs. If he saw her crying it would open up a whole can of worms and evening of rehashing of every last detail. A conversation she just did not want to have again.

Just as Trina hit the top stairs he calls out to her.

“Trina.” He shouts. She stops and stands still.

“Yea” She shouts back.

“I really love you”

“Humph” she responds quietly and closes the bedroom door behind her.
.

3 comments:

Don said...

This was pretty good. I see where you expressed a love for writing. Me too. I also see where you have love for Pac. Me too.

I think I may have found a home with your blog.

Unknown said...

I loved this scene. You did a great job of illustrating the pain that remains in this situation. Congrats on your willingness to open your soul to the world. You should consider submitting work to Pink Nighties (www.PinkNighties.com).

Destined for Greatness said...

Me likey... where is the rest?