Thursday, April 24, 2008

In Sync

I had no idea how long I had been sitting there, quietly in the dark staring at him, watching him sleep. I don’t even remember what woke me up initially. Was it a sound in the house? Was it the absence of his skin against mind as he shuffled over to his side of the bed? I don’t know. But, there I was watching him sleep so soundly. The light from the moon shining in the window slightly up the room just enough for me to see the glistening of the ring on his third finger left hand. The room was still. It seemed that had stared at him so long that my breathing pattern now matched his. Noticing that my chest rose slightly when his did and fell along with his I thought we are perfectly in sync.

The thought made me laugh at myself and I whispered “Perfectly in sync”. Just then I looked down at my third finger left hand and watched as a glimpse moonlight flashed the diamond on my wedding band. Being perfectly in sync was the theme of today. There we were lying in bed together so in sync our breathing had the same rhythm ...same beat.

What had been a random joke for me over the past few years some had somehow become reality. I always joked and said that when I got married again it would be without fan fair or celebration. It would simply be a check on my list of things to do that day. You know get milk, go by the dry cleaners, buy cat and dog food, and oh yea get married.


At some point I know there had been some serious conversation leading up to today. But, I can‘t quite remember when the conversations stop being hypothetical and started becoming actual plans. The crazy part it was just as I had said it woudd be. It was simple, quiet and without fanfare.

No family just him and I exchanging vows, making promises, signing our names and going about our day. Well, not quite that matter of fact. We left the courthouse came home and changed for dinner. His sister, my sister in law dropped by but, neither one of us said a thing. I know she saw the rings but, she didn’t ask. She looked at me then him and smiled. Made up some about excuse about forgetting why she came by and left. I am sure to jump on the family super phone to tell everyone.

At dinner we talked about everything but the wedding. We talked about it but there was no giddiness, no rambles of all the plans that lay ahead of us. The only true reference all evening is when he asked me “What would you like to eat Mrs. Jennings.” Oddly, enough hearing him say that made me tear up but, I shook it off and rattled off my order.
We finished dinner off and headed home.

We made love and passed out as usual. But, here I was sitting up watching him sleep breathing in sync. Watching glistening rings with one thought running through my mind .

"What have I done”

No comments: